If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (708) 747-9925

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Flossmoor Fire Damage Causes

5/27/2016 (Permalink)

When fire strikes your Flossmoor property, SERVPRO of Matteson-Homewood can clean and restore it "Like it never even happened."

Causes of Flossmoor Fire Damage 

Every 20 seconds in the United States, a fire department is responding to a fire somewhere. While your home is where you should always feel safe, it can also be a dangerous place if a Flossmoor fire occurs. In fact, four out of five fire-related fatalities occur in the home. However, if you are aware what causes a potential fire that could lead to severe Flossmoor fire damage in your home, you may be able to prevent the fire from occurring in the first place. Below are some of the main factors that can cause a residential fire. 

One of the major causes of Flossmoor residential fire-related deaths is smoking materials such as cigarettes and other tobacco products. About 800 people die annually in the U.S. because of careless handling of cigarettes in the home. Typically, smoking material that is forgotten or carelessly discarded ignites trash, furniture or bedding. Most of the deadly smoking-related fires occur in a family room or living room, not the bedroom because bed upholstery and mattresses are manufactured with excellent fire-resistant qualities. 

A cooking fire is another leading cause of Flossmoor house fires, which can cause catastrophic Flossmoor fire damage in your home. Cooking equipment is the leading cause of residential fire-related injuries and the fourth leading cause of residential fire-related fatalities. Cooking fires usually take place whenever foods cooking on the stove are left unattended. Cooking oils are most susceptible to catching fire. These types of fires begin within the first 15 minutes of cooking. 

The third leading cause of residential fire-related fatalities and the second leading cause of home fires is improperly used heating equipment, such as portable space heaters, wood stoves, fireplaces, and chimneys. Space heaters can cause a fire when they are placed too close to drapes, furniture or other combustible materials. A fire can start in a fireplace or chimney that is clogged with creosote buildup as well. 

Candles can also cause residential fires. From 2009 to 2013, candles were to blame for 3 percent of residential fires, 3 percent of residential fire-related fatalities, 5 percent of property damage and 6 percent of residential fire-related injuries. Nearly all candle-related fires are started whenever something too close to the candle catches on fire. 

Also, electrical failures within the home lead to about 45,000 residential fires during 2013, which resulted in 410 fatalities and $1.3 billion in property damages. Electrical failures or malfunctions happen when there is a problem with the home's lighting, cords, wiring or another type of equipment using electricity. 

Locally Owned Company with National Resources

Severe Flossmoor fire damage to your home calls for fast and professional help and SERVPRO of Matteson/Homewood is your solution. Using advanced technology, our highly trained technicians can get your home back to normal in a short amount of time. We're locally owned and operated to serve Flossmoor and the surrounding areas. For more information, call us at (708) 747-9925.

Other News

View Recent Posts